We buried my MawMaw today. She passed away on the 23rd unexpectedly. It's strange the things that you remember, huh? I very vividly remember every dead person that I've seen much more that way than I remember them alive......the reason that I no longer "view" bodies. I remember explicitly what the weather is like at most every funeral I have attended. But here are some things that I remember most about my grandmother..........
- I remember that she had this mean black cat with big green eyes and when I would spend the night with her as a little girl the cat would walk into the bedroom and scare me to death because all I could see were those eyes.
- I remember that when my mother and I lived with her and my PawPaw after my parents divorced that she would cook me little pancakes and 7Up for breakfast every morning.
- I remember that she cooked wonderful southern food and that we all sat down at the table and ate dinner together at night.
- I remember that she would take me to school and pick me up.
- I remember going to Woolsworth for cheeseburgers and then going to Parisian's to shop.
- I remember this wonderful old house in Panama City Beach that my grandparents vacationed at for years. And people (my mom, my aunt, my grandmothers siblings, friends) would come and go throughout the week.
- I remember shopping for furniture......seemed like we shopped for a lot of furniture!
- I remember her telling Brian (my friend 2 houses down) and I to stop coming in and out of the house at least 100 times a day.
- I remember that she had a temper.
- And a wonderful sense of humor.
- I remember that she liked to stay up late and sleep late.
- I remember that she loved to read.
- I remember that she liked to gamble, and have a beer and that she often said inappropriate things for an old lady.
- I remember spending weekends with her and my PawPaw during my adolescent years and we would go out to eat on Friday night (my choice) followed by a shopping trip on Saturday.
- I remember how heartbroken she was when my aunt died.
- And how even more heartbroken she was when my PawPaw died.
- I remember that Niki's was lunch spot.
- I remember how much she loved my babies and my husband.
- I remember the last time I saw her and the last conversation I had with her.
- I remember how she would always know when something was wrong and she would say, "darling, tell grandma what's wrong". And to this day I have no idea why she referred to herself as grandma when I had called her MawMaw for 37 years but she did all the same.
I could go on and on but those are just a few of the things that I remember about Mabel. Strange the things you remember, huh?
Hugs,
Keely
No comments:
Post a Comment